Monday, February 9, 2009

Another argument against all things nuclear

Over the past several days, I have become Facebook friends with several of my relatives. All of whom I have not seen in years.

Why? Because, as previously mentioned, I live here and they live there. North Carolina versus New York. Separated by 12 hours, unyielding traffic, and fluctuating gas prices. I often forget how large my family is. After all, I'm generally just surrounded by my four closest relatives, plus the occasional aunt or cousin thrown into the mix.

I feel like I missed out on an incredibly valuable opportunity. The idea of being friends with my cousins has always appealed to me so much. The ability to just chat with my aunts and uncles about life has seemed like a downright luxury.

I crave the My Big Fat Greek Wedding family experience-- an extended family that laughs loud and eats big. I know mine is like that, but surely I deserve a direct immersion opportunity.

The nuclear family has its merits, with its easily identifiable members and common geography, but the description itself sounds a little dangerous. Clearly, I need to extend the branches of my family tree beyond North Carolina to embrace what lies to the north and west. I'm hoping I'll be accepted, despite the fallout.

1 comment:

Katie said...

I feel the same way--my whole family is up in Chicago :-( They kind of drifted apart when my grandmother peaced out, but I think we would have a huge, tight family if my mom was up there to keep them all together. Although I AM pretty good friends with my cousins, so I WIN!!