Sunday, November 9, 2008

Oh Yes, We Did


Well, I'm a little delayed in my response, but better late than never.

Even as I was experiencing the present tense on Tuesday night, I already felt like I was living through a moment in history; like we were all there as actors, recreating a defining election day for our country.

It is as though the mental picture I took of the immense crowd on Franklin Street has already been immortalized in U.S. History textbooks. I don't know, maybe it has.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the future holds. There will be little room for error, but there is also so much room for hope. We lost that hope for awhile, but here it is again. With Obama lies possibility and opportunity, the thought that "if we can do this, than we can do anything."

Already, our president-elect has become an icon. Perhaps with time his face will become synonymous with the red, white and blue of the American flag.

It's time for us to accept a new color anyway.

No comments: