Sunday, October 26, 2008

To the tune of "The Apology Song"

I'm really sorry mom, but your bicycle's been stolen.

I've never had anything stolen from me before. I've never stolen anything before. I can't imagine taking anything that wasn't mine, though thank goodness I've never had to be in a situation desperate enough to necessitate stealing.

I got this sinking feeling in my stomach today when I looked at the empty space on the bike rack where my bicycle had been several days earlier. The lock was simply cut off. And I keep asking myself who would steal bicycle while bawling over the loss. Then again, I would prefer to lose a bicycle rather than something more substantial. Like my car or my mind, for instance.

But still, it's strange, the attachments I form with non-living objects. I have a propensity for personification. Obviously I'm aware of the fact that my bike isn't cold and scared right now. We've just shared a lot of good memories.

In any case, I'll be spending the next few days mourning.

1 comment:

Katie said...

I'm the same way--it breaks my heart to get rid of my old toys :-( I think I get it from my mom, though. My dad told me that one time they were walking outside during winter, and she put her gum back in its wrapper and put it in her pocket, and when he asked her why she wouldn't throw it away, she said, "because it might get cold." Geeze.