Wednesday, May 27, 2009

On Proposition 8, a little late

Please excuse the rhyme. I just watched this video again, and I feel like singing show tunes:



How many years do you think it'll be before we look back on these hateful decisions to continue banning gay marriage the way we now look back on the Civil Rights movement?

There's probably five people left who think that ending segregation was a bad ahead, and they all live in Mississippi. I don't doubt that the situation will be quite similar with gay marriage, hopefully in my lifetime. After all, look at all the changes that have already occurred in our parents'. Ah, progress. I criticize our country at times for moving too fast, but this is one issue where I want to speed right along.

I read two great reactions to the California Supreme Court's decision that I have to share.
Quite different stylistically, though similar in their anger. And we should be angered. We should be outraged, in fact. To ostracize a group strictly based on their sexual orientation is to regress so shamefully--it's saying that a characteristic or situation that a person is born with or in is worthy of discrimination. Well that sounds awfully familiar...

I wish everyone would remember: None of us are free until all of us are free.

No comments: