Monday, May 25, 2009

In Memory

I won't lie; I generally consider Memorial Day to be a bonus day added to my weekend, rather than a holiday designed to honor our nation's military. Usually, I'm just about as grateful for the day off as I am for their services.

And, to be honest, I treated this one like all the rest. I lounged around, played Solitaire, and made progress on my epically-long room cleaning extravaganza.

Then I read this article. Thoughtfully composed and beautifully written, this piece about fallen soldiers caused me to stop and think about those who have risked (and lost) their lives so I could complete the banal task of artfully arranging my food studies books.

So thank you. I mean it. I hope to someday defend your rights as you have defended mine. (Though not with a gun, because we all know that would not turn out well.)

No comments: