Sunday, May 31, 2009

A Bug's Life, ended

As my foot hesitatingly descended on a bug crawling around the bakery floor yesterday, I swear I saw its little life flash before my eyes. The bug's hopes and dreams, its innumerable children growing from eggs to larvae to adults, the rewarding one night stands resulting in its continued gene expression...

Thanks to a combination of bug personification in all those beloved Disney/Pixar movies and my brief stint as a Buddhist, I am generally incapable of killing anything other than mosquitoes (they attack first, after all).

For one thing, I just know I am causing years (or months, or weeks) of devastation to the creature's family. At least that's what happens in A Bug's Life, and I can't bear considering the ramifications of such a heartless homicide. Like, how will he/she save his/her entire colony and live out his/her full heroic potential if I cut his/her life even shorter?

For another, from a reincarnation perspective I am undoubtedly harming my chances of experiencing my next life as a cat. And I really need the sleep.

1 comment:

rhymewithdrew.com said...

LOL, I like this. Good job! Keep me updated!

Andrew C.